A free online publishing platform allows people to publish content for free. All of these platforms are unique, with each providing special features that others don’t. Depending on the platform, these can be used for various purposes to include publishing promotional content, building links to a website, networking and making people aware of you and your products.
Here are nine of the most popular free online content publishing platforms, and just what makes each one unique:
Blogger online publishing platform created and owned by Google. known to be a very flexible platform that is also fairly simple to use. Because it’s directly tied to the Google platform, there are a few benefits that most Google fanatics enjoy about Blogger:
- Use your Google Docs to post to your Blogger blogs.
- You can configure your blog to have a secret posting email address. This allows you to post to your blog by sending content to the email address from other sites, or even your cell phone.
- Your Google Videos and YouTube videos can be linked directly to your blog posts, keeping all of your content located on the Google platform.
- Since Blogger is a Google product, Google web crawlers check these blogs regularly, ensuring that you can be found in Google searches if the right keywords are used in your content.
Hubpages online publishing platform
Hubpages is another good platform for publishing content online. Its uniqueness allows users to easily earn revenue with ads provided by their own ad programs, Google Adsense, eBay, and Amazon.com. These revenue sharing sources are all conveniently located on one platform. So, you only have to sign up once to enjoy the benefits of all four. Here are some other unique points:
- Users, or content providers, are called “hubbers”, posting on sub-domains known as hubs. To start a new topic, you simply start a new hub.
- Hubpages is not a blogging site. It’s a place where users can publish magazine-like articles. They are usually much longer than blog posts and go in-depth about a specific subject.
- Unlike blogs, hubs are not continuously added to. To upload multiple posts on a single topic, you would start a new hub, and link them to each other using the Hubpages “group” feature.
This is a community site that lets its members publish pages directly related to particular subjects. These pages are called “lenses”, and their creators are “lense-masters.” Squidoo also allows its lense-masters to earn extra revenue through Amazon.com and eBay referral links. Here are some of the other benefits that are unique to their online publishing platform:
- Users can create multimedia lenses easily, without having any HTML skills.
- Squidoo pages become popular because of the way each one is associated with thousands of other lenses.
- You earn 50 percent of all advertisements you allow to be posted on your lenses.
WordPress is most popularly known as a free blogging tool. However, what makes it unique to Blogger is that it’s also a content management system that allows many types of useful plug-ins for better functionality. Here are some other great benefits unique to WordPress:
- The same system can easily be installed on your own hosting. Therefore, you only need to learn one system for both your paid and free hosting sites.
- Developers like this platform because they have the freedom to design their own plug-ins to make their blogs interactive in the ways they would like. These plug-ins can then be shared for free usage by other WordPress users.
Tumblr online publishing platform
This platform is known as a micro-blogging site. It’s unique in the fact that this blogging site is also a social network site. Their “tumblelog” or “tlog” posting allows users to post short blogs, as opposed to the long ones encouraged by Blogger and WordPress. Moreover, what makes it even more unique is that it encourages “mixed-media” style posts. Here are some examples of what all this means to Tumblr users:
- The mixed-media micro-blogging comes in the form of links, pics, videos, quotations, and dialogues.
- A tumblelog is most commonly used for sharing user creations, findings, and experiences, in contrast to blogs.
- Used to easily post single items like audio and pictures. Embed a single video quickly with the functionality of the Tumblr platform interface.
Movable Type online publishing platform
Movable Type as an open-source blogsite has been compared to WordPress because of its free hosting package. In particular its an easy platform to use for non-developers who want their own blogs. Just like WordPress and Blogger, it allows for unlimited blogs and stand-alone pages to host your content. It’s a popular blog hosting platform for online publications. Some of the other benefits include:
- Bloggers can have multiple users for your blogs. That means you can allow blogging access to your assistant, staff members and sales staff for a more interactive business blog.
- The interface allows you to create new blogs and websites from one screen. It also gives you the convenience of being able to see at-a-glance activity summaries for your blogs and sites.
- It allows you to set-up user permissions for multiple bloggers within your blog or website. You can easily disable access without any hassles at all.
Xanga online publishing platform
This blogging platform was originally intended to be a site for users to share reviews on books, music, and movies. Xanga, as a full-service blog hosting site, brands itself as being as user-friendly as Facebook or MySpace. Many flocks to Xanga for this ease of use. However, there are other benefits:
- Xanga members get a free site that is made up of multiple blogs, including a weblog, photoblog, videoblog, and audio blog. It also comes with a mini-blog called a “pulse” and your own Xanga social networking profile.
- They offer many free online communities for their users. You join a specific forum based on your own business or personal interests. The Xanga website gets popular posts featured spots, giving your site or blog even more exposure if your content is featured.
- They offer excellent security features that allow you to block younger readers for adult content. You also have the option to make certain blog posts accessible by your chosen few. This is a good feature for inter-company blogging.
Tripod online publishing platform
Tripod is not just a hosting service from the creators of the Lycos search engine. This platform is also a blogging content management system (CMS). They don’t offer an open-source software program, but it’s said to offer a large variety of templates designed by professionals. However, Users who choose to remain on the free platform will see Tripod hosted ads on their blogs. which users don’t seem to mind.
- Tripod members get 20MG of free hosting space. This is more than enough for new users to create blogs and websites for just about any niche.
- They have a general support group that’s available to help you with your blog. Users ask popular questions and the knowledge base is full of answers, along with the Member Help Blog. In addition, this free content host also has a trouble ticket system where technical support can help you even further.
- Access to over 200 templates to easily create your website or blog.
Weebly online publishing platform
Weebly is one of the easiest content creators around. Their widget-style interface allows users to create entire websites and blogs with simple “drag-and-drop” of images, text boxes, and other interactive page elements. Easily add as much content to each page as you like. Look at other benefits Weebly users brag about:
- It’s one of the easiest platforms around for new website builders and bloggers. Create just what you want. No experience is necessary.
- The free platform offers a non-restricted amount of pages, storage, and bandwidth. The websites and blogs of free hosted accounts get no ads placed on them.
- Weebly and Google team up and redesign their system, fully integrated for you to earn more revenue now from your blog or site, with Google Adsense. Which is something only offered by Blogger.
Start publishing content for free
Experienced webmasters use free sites so it’s a good place to start for those new to publishing online.
Get started today, there is no reason not to regardless of your goals, since they do not cost anything,
let me know if you have any questions or comments on how to improve the site or anything else, please.
In the future, I will certainly take any suggestions you make into account.